Mark Roemer Oakland believes that a good resume can help you stand out in front of the recruiters. A professional resume is the best way to create an impression on the recruiters. Following are the steps you must follow to create a professional resume:
- Make a decision about which type of resume you want- You may want to have a chronological resume that lists your experiences in a chronological format. Or, you may want to have a functional resume that gives your list of experiences according to your skillset. You also may have a combination of both chronological and functional styles. You need to make a quick decision about which type of resume you want.
- Create a header and a summary- It is best to provide details like name, phone number, and email address in your header. While adding the phone number, be sure to add a number that you use. Also, the email address you give must be your work email. Providing a summary makes your resume look more professional. So, you can summarize your work experience in one or two lines. Don’t forget to mention why you are applying for the role, how it will impact your career, etc.
- Make a list of your experiences and skills (Chronological style)- If you have chosen the chronological or combination style for your resume, make a section that includes all your previous experiences of where you have worked and for how long. You can be selective not to make your resume too lengthy. Plus, you can pick the experience that seems relevant to the role you are applying for. As you list your achievements, it will be best to add words like achieved, accelerated, influenced, solved, trained, etc. You don’t need to stress too much about the gaps in the timeline; just keep everything in chronological order.
- Showcase your skills (Functional style)- On the other hand, for a functional resume, use the skills section to showcase your strengths and unique skills. State each of your skills and explain each of them in two to three lines. Don’t stretch too much and be to the point. It is better to list the skills relevant to the job you are applying for. Also, make a list of the computer programs you have learned and the proficiency levels.
- Make a list of the activities and education- Next, you have to list the activities you have participated in. You can include your activities as a leader in any club or community organization. You must provide details about your education. Make a list of all the schools and institutions you have attended, degrees you have completed, and the year of completion.
According to Mark Roemer Oakland, following the steps mentioned above is essential to creating a professional resume. Along with the details mentioned above, you must also add details about any awards you won and your interests. Creating a resume is the first step of building a great career and try to make it as professional as you can.